Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Install Ubuntu to extral usb hard drive

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Install Ubuntu/Kubuntu to external usb hard drive

The error I get is 'The installer needs to remove operating system files from install target, but was unable to do so. The install cannot continue'.

That's when I set sda2 as /boot don't format (as formatted by GPartEd), then GRB install to /dev/sda2.

I exitted the installer, and typed 'fdisk -l' in terminal and again sda has disappeared, and typing 'dmesg' shows I/O error messages for sda.
    Regards
    Dave

Beans
    Distro

I'm happy to report that I now have Kubuntu installed, after 6 hours (11pm til 5am!!!)

What fix it was booting the live CD with this at the end of the boot line after --

all_generic_ide floppy=off irqpoll

Which worked and allowed me to format sda2 as /boot (ext3), sdb2 as / (ext3), and sdb3 as swap.

I don't think the floppy=off was needed, but left it in as my laptop has no floppy drive, but the motherboard does have a FDC (weird??).

All that's left to do now is use EasyBCD to add Kubuntu to Vista's Boot Manager, and then test to see if I can actually get into Kubuntu (I know to readd the extra boot parameters at the GRUB menu). Once in Kubuntu, I'll edit menu.lst to permanently add those extra boot parameters.
    Regards
    Dave

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Nice work. Probably would have taken me a week to figure out the necessary boot option!

Post back as soon as you are successful (or not) with usb boot.

In the meantime I have to deal with my own problems--the most serious being my router keeps cutting out on me. I'm having to reset it to factory defaults constantly. Refuses to accept password and any setting other than dynamic IP (whereas my service is actually PPPoE DSL. Did it change without my knowing?)

So many mysteries...

Beans
    Distro

It booted successfully to Kubuntu.

Also, no need for me to edit menu.lst to add the extra boot parameters, as they were automatically added when the system was installed.

All 76 updates installed fine, including the new kernel (2.6.24-18).

One question: in Ubuntu I used firestarter to config the iptables to what I need. What is Kubuntu's firewall config called ?
    Regards
    Dave

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by Dave2k6 View Post
    It booted successfully to Kubuntu.
    Super!

One question: in Ubuntu I used firestarter to config the iptables to what I need. What is Kubuntu's firewall config called ?
    Guarddog?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by logos34 View Post
    Guarddog?
    Hi

Tried guarddog and it blocked me from accessing the net, and I was at lost on how to configure everything. So, I have installer fire starter for now, as it's one I have on my Ubuntu install and know how to use it.

By the way, I have an external USB digital tv box (AverMedia USB DVB-T) that I can connect to my laptop to view freeview. Will kaffine allow me to watch tv with it, or do I need to download something else ?
    Regards
    Dave

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by Dave2k6 View Post
    By the way, I have an external USB digital tv box (AverMedia USB DVB-T) that I can connect to my laptop to view freeview. Will kaffine allow me to watch tv with it, or do I need to download something else ?
    dunno. someone else may know the answer

Re: Install Ubuntu to extral usb hard drive

I have a similar problem. I installed Ubuntu in a new External USB Drive, and install grub in the MBR of the external drive. At this time I can start WinXP from internal HD and Ubuntu from external HD controlling if I connect the external HD or no during boot time. The problem is that I can see any partitions in the External HD from WinXP so I can use a FAT partition that I want to use for share files between these OS and with other computers.

So I you can help me with your experience I will glad you.

Augusto

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123