Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wireless capability suddenly missing

Beans

Wireless capability suddenly missing

Hi, I am using 8.04 and I got my wireless (BCM4312 rev 01 on HP dv6000 laptop) working perfectly with ndiswrapper following this very comprehensive guide: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wi...eisty_No-Fluff. For a few days it ran perfectly - when I was plugged in with my wireless card on it used the wired connection, I could turn on/off my wireless or restart my laptop and the wireless would be fine etc.

But yesterday, for no apparent reason, when I booted into Ubuntu the wireless capability wasn't even present in the network manager. (it wasn't just greyed out, it wasn't even there) iwconfig said something like "no wireless detected" for both lo and eth0 too. Is this a common problem? Will I be forced to reinstall my drivers every few days?

Beans

Re: Wireless capability suddenly missing

Anybody?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hi,

Today I had the same problem...
    I was using 8.04 without any problem but I re-installed 7.10 because of my webcam problem. And 7.10 even doesn't show my wireless properties.When I restarted showed me the available networks for few seconds and disappeared again...

If somebody help us,I will be glad...

Beans

Well if you reverted back to 7.10 you probably have to blacklist and reinstall your drivers again to make it work. My problem is that I didn't make any changes to my system whatsoever.....my wireless just disappeared out of the blue! =(

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by sayeo87 View Post
    Hi, I am using 8.04 and I got my wireless (BCM4312 rev 01 on HP dv6000 laptop) working perfectly with ndiswrapper following this very comprehensive guide: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wi...eisty_No-Fluff. For a few days it ran perfectly - when I was plugged in with my wireless card on it used the wired connection, I could turn on/off my wireless or restart my laptop and the wireless would be fine etc.

But yesterday, for no apparent reason, when I booted into Ubuntu the wireless capability wasn't even present in the network manager. (it wasn't just greyed out, it wasn't even there) iwconfig said something like "no wireless detected" for both lo and eth0 too. Is this a common problem? Will I be forced to reinstall my drivers every few days?
    Next time this happens type the following:
    Code:
    lsmod|grep -i -e b43 -e bcm43xx -e ssb -e ndiswrapper
    lsmod will list all your active modules and the second part only will grab the modules starting with b43, bcm43xx, ssb, and ndiswrapper. I am thinking that ndiswrapper is not loading. If that is the case, you can always load the module by typing:
    Code:
    sudo modprobe ndiswrapper

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by sayeo87 View Post
    Well if you reverted back to 7.10 you probably have to blacklist and reinstall your drivers again to make it work. My problem is that I didn't make any changes to my system whatsoever.....my wireless just disappeared out of the blue! =(
    but it is unlogical, I was using 7.10 without any problem and updated it online to 8.04. I couldn't get webcam support and in the forum they recommended me to switch back to 7.10. I formatted and installed 7.10 again and now I can't connect... I dont want to waste more time...I made the same process as I did first for 7.10 why did it work that time but not now????

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

how can I blacklist???can u explain a little? I am a newb...
    -------------------------------
    Ubuntu 10.04 user
    MSI Megabook S260_Centrino 1.86 GHZ_1.5 GB Ram

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by btermeli View Post
    how can I blacklist???can u explain a little? I am a newb...
    Blacklisting makes sure that a particular module does not load up at boot. The file is called /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist. For example, if you wanted to blacklist ndiswrapper, you add this:
    Code:
    blacklist ndiswrapper

You can modify the file by:
    Code:
    gksu gedit /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I did it but the result is the same.
    I can see the networks when I click manual settings but cant connect...
    First my webcam problem and now wireless problem, I lost all my desire to use linux...I tried to install fedora with some suggestions but installation freezes...
    may be it ll be easier for me to learn how to uninstall ubuntu from my system...
    anyway thanx for ur helps and replies...
    -------------------------------
    Ubuntu 10.04 user
    MSI Megabook S260_Centrino 1.86 GHZ_1.5 GB Ram

Beans

Is this a common problem?
    I just got a report for a Dell Laptop. The wireless just quit working for no apparent reason.

It uses the same BCM4312 rev 01.

Avoid Broadcom.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast