Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: After installation, the OS does not start (on a PC 2 OS)

Beans

After installation, the OS does not start (on a PC 2 OS)

My tasks:
    1. There are windows, I want to install a second OS ubuntu 20.04 lts, I have always had only windows.
    2. I want the PC to ask me which OS to enter when I turn it on.
    3. I have 2 disks (physically these are also different disks). Drive C has windows on it and drive D has just files on it and I want to allocate space on it for ubuntu. I want access to disk space with files from both OSes in half, so that I can use both OSes without difficulties, use the same files.

My ubuntu installation process:
    1. An OS image is written to the USB flash drive.
    2. Installation parameters:
    - 45 gigabytes were taken from drive D with the setting of the "ntfs journaled file system" parameter and the /windows label. After that, they were listed as free space.
    - 24 gigabytes set as logical, space start, label /
    - 21 gigabytes set as logical, start space, label /home
    - a device for installing the efi bootloader

What happened during installation:
    - gave an error "Installer terminated abnormally" - reasons were not specified.
    - I click close. After that, oddly enough, the ubuntu OS started up.
    - I turn off the PC to check if it prompts me to select an OS.
    - windows updates started.
    - only windows starts, ubuntu is not offered to start.

What happened to windows:
    - my disk D, the remaining 700 gigabytes, became known as disk F. and disk D became known as a new space of 500 megabytes, I didn’t have it before.
    - I changed the disks back, since my windows programs were on the D drive and this is necessary for them to work.
    - you can see 2 volumes, those / and / house, but you can’t see the files there from windows.

Starting the OS through bios:
    - If you select the disk on which the label drive D is located, then it says: uncknow filesystem entering rescue mode grub recue
    - if you select the disk on which I have windows, then windows starts

Help run ubuntu!
    What is wrong with my setup. I saw that ubuntu works, that it is. But I'm not prompted to run it.
    Last edited by onnivia; April 8th, 2022 at 09:38 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 24.04 Noble Numbat

Re: After installation, the OS does not start (on a PC 2 OS)

As you can start Windows, can you see all your data on the second drive?
    If you can, then the first priority is to backup all your personal data from your Windows drive and the second drive?

Ubuntu can be re-installed or repaired after you have confirmed that you have backed up your files.

Beans

I can see my windows data is working without problems. The task is to make ubuntu work too. So that I can run two OSes of my choice. ubuntu started automatically once after the installation was completed and it doesn't start anymore, I don't know how to start it.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 24.04 Noble Numbat

Without knowing where you really have got to so far it is impossible to give good advice on where to go next, so go to Boot-Repair in my signature below and follow the instructions there to run the Boot-Info-Script.

Do not run the default repair just yet but simply copy back here the pastebin link you get which will show us a lot more about your system.

Beans

As I understand it is a script for Linux. I only have access to windows

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 24.04 Noble Numbat

Quote Originally Posted by onnivia View Post
    You run boot-repair from a live Ubuntu session, info herewith:-
    2nd option : install Boot-Repair in Ubuntu

- either from an Ubuntu live-session (boot your computer on a Ubuntu live-USB then choose "Try Ubuntu") or from your installed Ubuntu session (if you can access it)

- connect to the Internet

- open a new Terminal, then type the following commands (press Enter after each line):
    Code:
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:yannubuntu/boot-repair && sudo apt update
    sudo apt install -y boot-repair && boot-repair

Beans

You have Ubuntu Linux on your flash drive which you are using to install. If you have an internet connection when using Ubuntu on the flash drive, you can go to the boot repair site and download and run it. When you are at the boot repair page, use the 2nd option described on that page to add a PPA. You should be prompted to run it and use the option to Create BootInfo Summary. When it finishes, you should get a link to post here so that members can review the information and assist you. If you don't see a prompt after downloading boot repair, open a terminal and type: boot-repair and hit the Enter key.

You neglected to indicate which version of windows you are running which is important information so do that.
    Is this an UEFI install? Are both windows and Ubuntu installed UEFI? Do you know what UEFI is?
    If you want to share data between windows and Ubuntu, you need an ntfs filesystem as windows default is not capable of accessing a Linux filesystem. You can see the Linux partitions from Disk Management in windows but a default windows will not read or view data on a Linux filesystem.

Not sure why your drive letters changed but windows does not assign drive letters to Linux filesystem partitions and Linux does not use drive letters.

When you boot, can you access the BIOS firmware and if you are using UEFI, select Ubuntu from Boot Options.

Beans

Do not attach files here. Link to google drive: https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...0v?usp=sharing

https://paste.ubuntu.com/p/n32GnMPrBC/ The link that the system down, but it seems to be a link with an error
    Last edited by onnivia; April 8th, 2022 at 12:20 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

This is what concerns me.

- 24 gigabytes set as logical, space start, label /
    - 21 gigabytes set as logical, start space, label /home
    - a device for installing the efi bootloader
    "Logical?" A logical partition would be on a drive with Master Boot Record (MBR) partitioning scheme. An EFI boot partition is required for drives that have a GUID partition table (GPT) and if the OS is install in UEFI mode.

When using the Something Else option the installer requires us to set a mount point of / and /home for the partitions we want to use as / and /home. A label is useful for recognising partitions but the mount point is necessary for the installer.

Regards
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by grahammechanical View Post
    This is what concerns me.

"Logical?" A logical partition would be on a drive with Master Boot Record (MBR) partitioning scheme. An EFI boot partition is required for drives that have a GUID partition table (GPT) and if the OS is install in UEFI mode.

When using the Something Else option the installer requires us to set a mount point of / and /home for the partitions we want to use as / and /home. A label is useful for recognising partitions but the mount point is necessary for the installer.

Regards
    I didn't get it =(

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast