Thread: 9.10 Nautilus - Cannot access FreeNAS CIFS/SMB folder containing more than 627 files

Beans

9.10 Nautilus - Cannot access FreeNAS CIFS/SMB folder containing more than 627 files

Attempts to access a folder on a FreeNAS CFIS/SMB share via Ubuntu 9.10 Nautilus that contains more than 627 files results in: The folder contents could not be be displayed (Invalid argument) and inability to view folder contents.

Test Case:
    1. On local hard disk, create two folders ("temp627" and "temp628") containing 627 and 628 files respectively.
    File names in temp627 were xaaa, xaab, xaac, ... xayc
    File names in temp628 were xaaa, xaab, xaac, ... xayd
    Each file contained a single "x" character (files generated using "split" command though this is likely irrelevant). Note that contents of both of these folders may be accessed without issue using Nautilus while the reside on the local hard disk.

2. Start Nautilus via menu (i.e., <Places><Network><Server><Share><folder>). Sequentially, copy temp627 and temp628 from local hard disk and paste to the share (in Nautilus view).

3. Double-clicking on "temp627" on the CFIS/SMB share in Nautilus results in the folder opening and contents accessible, but double-clicking on "temp628" on the CFIS/SMB share in Nautilus results in the folder contents cannot be be displayed (Invalid argument) message and contents not accessible.

4. This behavior was repeated on multiple shares and in multiple folder locations. NOTE: Utilizing a Windows XP system, I CAN access both folders on the share without issue and all of the files are present.

This test case was more than just a curiosity -- I have several folders with many (~10,000) files on the share and would like to be able to access via Ubuntu. Is this a known limitation or bug? Does anyone have any suggestions that would resolve this limit? Is there some other way I might access these files via Ubuntu?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: 9.10 Nautilus - Cannot access FreeNAS CIFS/SMB folder containing more than 627 fi

Quote Originally Posted by quiteconfused View Post
    Attempts to access a folder on a FreeNAS CFIS/SMB share via Ubuntu 9.10 Nautilus that contains more than 627 files results in: The folder contents could not be be displayed (Invalid argument) and inability to view folder contents.

Test Case:
    1. On local hard disk, create two folders ("temp627" and "temp628") containing 627 and 628 files respectively.
    File names in temp627 were xaaa, xaab, xaac, ... xayc
    File names in temp628 were xaaa, xaab, xaac, ... xayd
    Each file contained a single "x" character (files generated using "split" command though this is likely irrelevant). Note that contents of both of these folders may be accessed without issue using Nautilus while the reside on the local hard disk.

2. Start Nautilus via menu (i.e., <Places><Network><Server><Share><folder>). Sequentially, copy temp627 and temp628 from local hard disk and paste to the share (in Nautilus view).

3. Double-clicking on "temp627" on the CFIS/SMB share in Nautilus results in the folder opening and contents accessible, but double-clicking on "temp628" on the CFIS/SMB share in Nautilus results in the folder contents cannot be be displayed (Invalid argument) message and contents not accessible.

4. This behavior was repeated on multiple shares and in multiple folder locations. NOTE: Utilizing a Windows XP system, I CAN access both folders on the share without issue and all of the files are present.

This test case was more than just a curiosity -- I have several folders with many (~10,000) files on the share and would like to be able to access via Ubuntu. Is this a known limitation or bug? Does anyone have any suggestions that would resolve this limit? Is there some other way I might access these files via Ubuntu?
    Report it as a bug.
    Regards, David.
    Please use the Forum search and Wiki search for immediate help
    Please mark your thread as Solved when appropriate
    New to technical forums?: How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Beans

Re: 9.10 Nautilus - Cannot access FreeNAS CIFS/SMB folder containing more than 627 fi

Reported in launchpad as bug #500195. Link https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...us/+bug/500195.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

same problem with 9.10