Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone want to help make a Paint.Net alternative for Linux?

Beans
    Hidden!

Lightbulb Anyone want to help make a Paint.Net alternative for Linux?

I really miss Paint.Net in Windows for simple image editing without complex controls. There's a Mono port that can be used as a reference but I think it should be coded in something other than C# and Mono....in any case I can do the web design/developing for the website though that might not be necessary. Just looking to see if anyone would be interested in doing the project.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Lightbulb Re: Anyone want to help make a Paint.Net alternative for Linux?

You might be interested in Nathive. It does pretty much what you describe and has recently been rewritten in python. It is still in an early stage, and I certainly think their website can use a good web designer's helping hand.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Anyone want to help make a Paint.Net alternative for Linux?

Quote Originally Posted by CalvinB View Post
    I really miss Paint.Net in Windows for simple image editing without complex controls. There's a Mono port that can be used as a reference but I think it should be coded in something other than C# and Mono....in any case I can do the web design/developing for the website though that might not be necessary. Just looking to see if anyone would be interested in doing the project.
    Why not C# and Mono? As long as the interface is rewritten in Gtk# rather than WinForms it would feel completely native.
    Free as in freedom, not as in beard.

Beans
    Distro

Your right! Let's re-write the entire application! Why re-use code? It's not like it's an integral part of FOSS and it's greatest advantage.
    WARNING: "sudo rm -rf /" = BAD Read this for more information.
    Q6600-Abit IP35-2 GB RAM-250GTS 1GB

*Docky FTW!*

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Yeah it would probably be a lot easier to port Paint.NET to Linux then rewrite it from scratch. Especially considering there is already a project porting it.

http://code.google.com/p/paint-mono/

Apparently most of the work porting Paint.NET to Mono is writing a replacement for a single library (that platform invokes Win32 APIs).
    Last edited by phrostbyte; July 13th, 2009 at 11:50 PM.
    Proud GNU/Linux zealot and lover of penguins
    "Value your freedom or you will lose it, teaches history." --Richard Stallman

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by phrostbyte View Post
    Yeah it would probably be a lot easier to port Paint.NET to Linux then rewrite it from scratch. Especially considering there is already a project porting it.

http://code.google.com/p/paint-mono/
    I tried that a while ago, it worked, but the text was messed up, now I can't get it to compile at all
    .i coi rodo

Beans
    Hidden!

I don't care what the Ubuntu and Gnome devs say, I agree with rms. Mono is very bad. Nathive is cool, but not yet where I want it to be. I could support him though I'd need to know his roadmap.

http://pastebay.com/29187

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I got it to compile. Ubuntu 9.04

I just used: ./configure; make; sudo make install
    I have most of Mono installed

It works alright, it's a bit slow though.

Here is a fast install (copy/paste this into a Terminal):
    Disclaimer: This probably won't screw up your computer, but all risks are possible
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Code:
    sudo apt-get install subversion libmono-* mono-* build-essential
    svn checkout http://paint-mono.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/ paint-mono-read-only  
    cd paint-mono-read-only/src
    ./configure
    make
    sudo make install
    paintdotnet
    Last edited by phrostbyte; July 14th, 2009 at 12:11 AM.

Beans

So basically you want somebody else to write an application for you in the language and design of your choosing. And all you're contributing a website? Seriously?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Simian Man View Post
    So basically you want somebody else to write an application for you in the language and design of your choosing. And all you're contributing a website? Seriously?
    Yeah that's not going to work out. I know some people don't have programming experience and can't really judge the difficulty of certain software projects. It's A LOT of work to write a image editor, even one not as powerful as Photoshop. I'm pretty sure PaintDotNet is something like hundred thousand lines of code. If you printed it out you'd probably need 10 reams of paper. I don't have the source code of The GIMP, but I bet it's even bigger considering it's written in C and needs more code for memory management and the like.

Image editor = NOT EASY! This isn't a pong clone.

It involves knowing high level mathematics too. Like above undergraduate level Calculus! (Think DiffEq and Advanced Linear Algebra)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast